Built upon a granite hill is the magnificent Alila Fort Bishangarh. This 230-year-old warrior fort, with its splendid architecture and panoramic views of the Aravallis, is definitely one of the most fascinating heritage properties in Jaipur. With a simplistic design, different from the other forts and palaces in Rajasthan – the fort stands out with its 4 meter thick ancient walls, arched windows and towering turrets.
Interestingly, it is only warrior fort to be converted into a luxury hotel and took around a decade to restore and was completed in 2017. To retain its authenticity every old piece of the original fort has been reused and the broken elements were recreated. It is a unique example of Jaipur Gharana architecture which is influenced by both the Mughals and the British. The fort has 59 rooms with 22 different layouts with spacious interiors and large windows that open up to beautiful views of the village and the Aravallis.
Just a 3.5 hours’ drive from Delhi or 30 mins for Jaipur, this picturesque fort is a great weekend getaway. We spent our time taking in the stunning views, exploring hidden passages and satisfying our taste buds with sumptuous meals.
Things to Do –
- A cultural walking tour of the fort. Learn about the history, see hidden passages and gardens.
- View the sunset from the terrace. You can also see the sunrise if you are a morning person!
- Spend some time in the beautifully done library, situated near the courtyard.
- Take a stroll in the organic garden.
- Cycle around the charming Bishangarh village
- Laze around in the swimming pool or visit the spa
They also include a daily list of activities to do including yoga, a Rajasthani food masterclass, morning walks etc.
Dining Options –
- Amarsar – the all-day restaurant. We had our breakfast here and what we loved was that unlike most breakfast buffets, this was a la carte and it is served hot directly at the table.
- Nazara – an outdoor grill dining terrace. We had a lovely 3-course dinner here which included some authentic Rajasthani dishes.
- Kachhawa Lounge – for the 4 Cs – champagne, coffee, chai and cakes.
- Madhuveni – the bar and cigar area.
The warm and friendly staff go out of the way to make you feel comfortable.
Best way to reach there –
Firstly – do not follow google maps. It takes you off the highway through some narrow villages with practically no roads. This is on your way to Jaipur – you take go via the Manoharpur Bishangarh link road – from there you can follow the Alila hotel signs. It is about a 6 km drive off the highway.
Sharing some more pictures!
15 thoughts on “A Regal Affair – Alila Fort Bishangarh”
Wow….your write up really makes the place so beautiful. .would love to go there when we come to delhi side.lovely pics and the surroundings
Thanks ma ! We will plan for this when you are here next!
Looks awesome and the views are breathtaking.
Surely worth a visit.
Yes , you should plan a trip here – perfect for a quick getaway from Delhi! 🙂
Wow! This place looks amazing! Definitely added to my list of places to visit around Delhi
So when are you visiting us next?
Sounds fantastic. Love the stylish photography too 💕
Thanks. Loving the pixel 2 camera and all the editing apps with it! 🙂
Wow, thanks Abha for such a beautiful write-up, One just wants to rush there and be there. Love the whole concept.
Glad you like it! This reminds me of Jadhavgarh fort in some way – away from the city, peaceful with beautiful surroundings!
Photographs are amazing!!! 😍
Thanks Nikhil! 🙂 Glad you like it!
It’s a great option for weekend getaway. Adding it to my list. Loved the write-up.
Thanks a ton Yashi! 🙂
You guys should def do it – hopefully when the weather is slightly better! 🙂
Comments are closed.